The Brooklyn High School for Law and Technology Social Studies Department believes the primary goal of public education is to prepare students to be engaged and effective citizens. An effective citizen is one who has the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to effectively function in a democratic republic. That knowledge includes an understanding of both the past and the present, as well as an understanding of both domestic and global issues.
To reach this goal, every student will be given the opportunity to participate in citizenship education activities. These activities should expand civic knowledge, develop participation skills, and support the belief that, in a democracy, the actions of each person make a difference. Throughout the social studies curriculum, students will be given opportunities to apply their civic knowledge, skills, and values as they work to discuss real problems in the school, the community, the nation, and the world.
- To provide students with engaging and rigorous instruction aligned with the Common Core Learning Standards
- To engage students in critical thinking, inquiry, and problem solving activities.
- To encourage awareness of opportunities for underrepresented students in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- Embrace core democratic values and strives to live by them.
- Accept the responsibility for the well-being of oneself, one's family, and the community
- Has knowledge of the people, history, and traditions that have shaped our local communities, our nation and the world
- Has knowledge of our nation's founding documents, civic institutions, and political processes
- Is aware of issues and events that have an impact on people at local, state, national, and global levels
- Seeks information from varied sources and perspectives to develop informed opinions and creative solutions
- Asks meaningful questions and is able to analyze and evaluate information and ideas
- Uses effective decision-making and problem-solving skills in public and private life
- Has the ability to collaborate effectively as a member of a group
- Actively participates in civic and community life