The mathematics department at Brooklyn High School for Law & Technology enables all students to achieve a high quality education by increasing their mathematical literacy. Through a technology-infused curriculum, the mathematics department facilitates the conceptual understanding of mathematical principles, cultivates mathematical ways of thinking, and develops fluency with number, symbolic representation, geometry, and data – all of which is essential for success in the informational and technological environment of the 21st century.
- To provide students with engaging and rigorous instruction aligned with the Common Core Learning Standards
- To engage students in critical thinking, inquiry, and problem solving activities.
- To encourage awareness of opportunities for underrepresented students in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- Content mastery is measured primarily through Regents-based assessment, and based upon scholarship, literacy, and group collaboration skills.
- Instruction, curriculum, and problem-based learning activities are geared to engage students’ individual goals and interests.
- The Common Core Learning Standards are used to enrich curriculum for the purpose of honing students’ reading and writing skills for higher education
- The scope and sequences of mathematics courses are used as a tool for pacing of instructional content. It is the task of the instructor to develop essential questions that direct students to the key ideas and priority standards integral for knowledge of the sciences.